Saturday, October 2, 2010

Quince

You know autumn is in the air when the Quince start turning golden and getting fragrant. These are a variety known as Pear Quince, as they are pear shaped. My Mom has an old Quince tree in her garden plot in Berlin so I took some pictures of the nearly ripe fruit. Each year she gathers them and makes Quince Jam or Jelly. It's an old, often forgotten fruit, I have a Quince tree in my garden as well, Apple Quince, which ripen in late October. Sometimes I just pile them in a bowl so their wonderful fragrance scents the air. They are inedible until cooked. Very nice stewed with cloves and cinnamon sticks. I did make a chutney with oranges out of them one year. Very tasty, but labor intensive.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, my mum used to make qunice jelly, yum.
    Well you might like my "Blessing of the animals" this week, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, enjoyed it!! Will visit your blog again.

    ReplyDelete