Wednesday, July 28, 2010



I took this picture while on a serene cruise around an area near Berlin, Germany called the Spreewald. It's a magical area of beautiful little homes, some surrounded on several sides by water. A large network of canals, in most cases travelled by canoe- type boats which are moved along with a long punting stick. As my little blog grows day by day, I once again have the chance to revisit these wonderful places. So rather then my pictorial journey pining away in My Pictures folder, they now once again see the light of day. And delight me all over again, allowing me to re-visit that wonderful day. Doesn't get much better then that. The first picture is of a quiet section of the Spreewald, but often just around the corner, as your Punting Pilot enters a different canal all of the sudden the vista will open to a fairytale cottage and surrounding garden, such as the one in the second picture.





4 comments:

  1. I love that cottage. Are those dragons at the roof's peak? Or... Antlers? I can't tell. Sweet cottage. Nice memories today, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you'll click on the pic you'll get the larger version. They look like watersnakes to me. Maybe Nessie? I'd have to research that one. Good question!!! But definitely not antlers.
    Wonderful memories!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here you have it. Snakes. A small exerpt I found on an interesting website.


    "As we progressed deeper into the forest, reed-covered roofs appeared with crossed wooden snakes at the corners, the so-called crosses of Andreas. These crossed crowned heads of snakes are on the front gable of nearly every house. The snake king plays a significant protective role in Sorbian mythology."

    Here's the link should it be of interest.
    http://www.gonomad.com/transports/0405/traversing_the_spreewald.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHHHHHH stop it! This is so serene and wonderful, it makes my eyes roll back in my head! :) I can't imagine how it would be to just glide along with someone else doing all the work, and you.. just there relaxing in all that beauty! It would take a goodly amount of surgery to get the smile off my face after this experience!

    ReplyDelete