Wednesday, August 1, 2018

AUGUST 2018


Marauders have arrived
strangely enough we welcome 
them with open arms
flocks of birds sing and peck
squirrels scurry about
today Mom and babe
arrived a most welcome sight
though to be honest we swiftly
closed some of the garden gates
lest all our watering was in vain
thus far violets and wild geraniums
have fallen to their hunger
as well as nibbling of small trees
had to have a chat with Mom
about stripping that nibbling our
Japanese Maple she looked afronted
bringing out heavy ammo a second
babe appeared making me feel mean
good grief she's feeding twins
how can we deny their hunger???


One dainty hoof at a time
appearing out of the smoke
sustenance needed threefold


A certain slant of light
illuminates delicate beauty
frothy diaphanous skirts
lovely memory of the spring garden
now resting under a pall of smoke and heat

***

I am a bridge builder by nature
while my passions and temper can
flare burning very hot in a moment
of severe upset still rarely
do I feel the need to burn bridges
for how do I know where my road
will lead me to on life's journey
what if there is a dead end ahead
requiring me to turn around
crossing the very bridge I thought
never needed crossing again more
than once in my life's journey
then a sudden strange turn requires
just that retracing my steps
maybe my appreciating bridges
doing my best to keep them in good
working order means I am extra
cautious by nature...you just never know


Crossing this bridge in the mountains
built to span a seasonal creek
how were we to know it might be not only
our first but also our last time crossing
these sturdy timbers for surely this
bridge has burned it would require
a miracle to have survived our dreadful
Whiskeytown fire which still gnaws
its way slowly through steep canyons
even as I share these very words with you


Even a half moon
afloat in ink
can make me swoon



Tainted by fire's fury
rising through veils of smoke
amidst a flurry of ash


When everything feels
hopeless step outside
take deep breaths
inhale exhale inhale exhale
when calm finds you
wander the winding paths
in search of beauty
immerse yourself in nature
until you feel her peace
soothing balm for the soul
that's my sage advice for today

No comments:

Post a Comment